Final Cut Pro is Apple’s advanced video editing software used by professional filmmakers. From basic video cutting to VR headset playback, the application offers a variety of options to create a Holywood-like movie through an intuitive interface.
In this tutorial, you’ll discover how to get the latest Final Cut Pro student and teacher discount, as well as how to download and install the program to your Mac device.
Final Cut Pro is offered at a discount to students, teachers, and faculty members as a part of an Education bundle that contains four other apps: Logic Pro, Motion, Compressor, and MainStage. Logic Pro is a music editing and production app, Motion is a tool for creating realistic motion graphics that you can import to video editing programs, Composer is an encoding tool, and MainStage is a music live performance app for creating set lists.
All these programs are included in the bundle for a one-time fee of $199. Unfortunately, there is no option to purchase each program with a student discount separately. Still, this is an excellent deal since all these apps combined retail for $630. The regular price for Final Cut Pro is $299,99 ; Logic Pro X is $199.99 ; MainStage is $29.99 ; Compressor and Motion are $49,99 each.
The education pricing is applied to current university students, teachers and faculty members of all levels. What’s interesting is that the parents of a student are also eligible for a discount.
According to the license agreement, none of the applications can be used for commercial and for-profit projects, only for educational purposes.
If you want to complete a quick project, you can access the program for free using the 90-day trial period.
The software is made exclusively for Mac devices running macOS, so there is no Windows or Linux version of any of the programs included in the bundle. Video editing programs generally require more computing power and memory due to the file sizes and video rendering. Even though there might be some solutions to run them on Windows OS, the license agreement forbids any of the software to be installed and run on anything other than Mac computers.
Here are the recommended configurations for the best performance of Final Cut Pro:
- Operating system – macOS 11.5.1 or later
- RAM – 8 GB or more, depending on the complexity of the tasks
- Disk space – 4.5 GB for installation and more for storage of videos. We recommend purchasing an external hard drive for video storage
- VRAM – 1 GB (required for 360° video editing, 3D titles and 4K editing)
- Graphic card – Metal-supported cards (see here which built-in and aftermarket cards work)
How to download Final Cut Pro for students
- Obtain a .edu email address from your school, university or college
- Go to the official Apple Education product listing for the bundle
- Click on the “Add to bag” button to proceed to the checkout
- If you already have an Apple ID, then log in to your account otherwise, continue as a guest
- Enter your details and the shipping address. As a guest, enter your .edu email address
- Enter your billing details
- Once the order is compiled it will take up to 3 days to receive the download links via email
- Once you receive the links, install the software on your Mac device
* You might be required to upload proof of student status
Final Cut Pro cheap and free alternatives (Windows and Mac)
Movavi – Fast, modern and professional video editing software for Windows and Mac, with an affordable one-time purchase price of only $69.95. The price doesn’t include core version updates.
Kdenlive – Free open-source video editing program available for Windows, Mac and Linux. It offers a myriad of effects and features for amateur moviemakers and vloggers to get the job done fast.
OpenShot – Surprisingly excellent and powerful program for creating stunning videos, whether you are an advanced editor or just starting out. The program is available for installation on Linux, Windows and Mac operating systems. It is completely free and open-source.